No matter how clean your bathroom may look and feel, eventually you’ll have to deal with a smelly drain due to a natural build up of soaps, human hair or organic waste among other things.
Unblocking your home drain system (or preventing it from being blocked) is an essential property maintenance job and this week our Hubbies are sharing their tips on how to effectively manage your household drainage system.
- If your kitchen, bathroom or laundry drains are producing an unflattering odour, chances are you have a blockage.
- A bad blockage will need a professional service. You may need to have the “P” trap removed to clean the areas separately. The “P” is the “P” shaped pipe that most household drains have.
- Maintaining your home drainage system is simple with some of the great products on the market. Don’t forget there are environmentally responsible alternatives so you’re not flushing toxic chemicals down the drain and into your garden.
If the thought of cleaning your drains makes you squirm, it might be time to call Hire A Hubby on 1800 803 339. Did you know our Hubbies also do bathroom and kitchen renovations, tiling and grouting?
We’re half way through the first month of winter and hopefully it’s been a safe one for everyone.
While it isn’t known for its storms, the ghastly winds that come with winter can rip through loose or damaged roof materials and unkempt branches can fall and damage your property.
This week our Hubbies have shared their expert tips on what you need to do to keep your property maintained properly during the unpredictable winter months:
- Prune any tree branches well clear of your house and garden fence.
- Ensure loose objects in your yard, such as garden furniture, are secured so they can’t be blown around.
- Check your roof is in good repair. Ensure roof tiles are in place and replace any broken or loose tiles.
- Clear out gutters and downpipes.
- Park your car in the garage or carport. If you don’t have a garage, park your car away from any trees that could fall down and damage it.
By taking preventative measures now, you will ensure you’re not faced with costly repair bills in the future.
Need a hand getting your property up to scratch? Give one of Hire A Hubby’s property maintenance experts a call on 1800 803 339.
As the seasons change, so do our moods and our need for different surroundings. This week our Hubbies share some handy tips and tricks on how to beat the winter blues by adding an element of flair to the home.
Interior lighting: Create a warm and inviting atmosphere with the clever use of lighting. Adding a stand-alone lamp to the corner of a room, installing dimmer switches or changing your light coverings are great ways to enhance or richen the visual appearance of your room.
Feature walls: Painting a feature wall may be just what you need to inject personality and excitement to your room without being overpowering. A well chosen colour that matches the rest of your interior can add to the sense of space and make your room feel new.
Plants: Bring the outdoors indoors. Plants are a great way to keep your home feeling fresh. They make a room feel warm and cozy by filling up empty space and fresh flowers will freshen up any room.
If you would like a hand on a winter home property maintenance job, or if you want to freshen up your home with a newly painted wall, hanging some new paintings or installing new light bulbs, give Hire A Hubby a call on 1800 803 339.
Keeping warm will be the number one priority on most people’s minds as the colder months set in. Electric blankets, heaters and candles make for a warm and toasty winter but these luxuries can also present fire dangers to your home.
This week, our Hubbies share some tips for a warm and safe winter as they explore the fire dangers that lurk around the home and provide tips on how to prevent them.
- Electric blankets: if you have one, make sure you upgrade every five years. The older the blanket, the greater the risk and if it is damaged in any way you should throw it away.
- Placement: think carefully about where you position your heater and how you use it. They should be kept away from fire hazards such as curtains and clothes should not be left to dry on them.
- Negligence: it’s a simple one, but always turn heating devices off before leaving the house. Left unattended, they could leave you with a nasty surprise.
It is vital that you have working smoke alarms installed in your home. Give our Hubbies a call to come out, test your smoke alarms and ensure they are positioned in the best areas around your home so you can rest assured that your family is protected.
You may also think it’s a good time for a Home Health Check, where our experienced Hubbies provide a detailed report of all maintenance required around your home.
For more information on Hire A Hubby services call 1800 803 339.